Sunday, September 26, 2010

Little boys who hit...


I never thought I'd say it.....I am a Mommy, and my son has learned to hit. Maybe it was our fault for teaching him how to "fist pound." But my son has decided that hitting is an effective way to express his anger and TRY to get what he wants. I am a firm believer that hitting is not acceptable, and I am also a firm believer in disciplining your children...yes, even a 16 month old! Of course if ya just smack um back....the obvious message is "I hit...you hit....I hit again." Therefore, I have decided that a more appropriate form of discipline is a small time-out on Mommy's lap. Yes, he gets a tight bear hug by Mommy when he disobeys my request to stop hitting.


Now....the follow through. I have seen and heard of WAY too many parents not following through with consequences for their children. In my opinion, as a parent and especially a teacher, this has contributed to some of the problems with our youth. Parents are afraid, too tired, unsure, insecure, and unwilling to set boundaries for their children from the beginning and soon enough they lose all control. Yup...it's gone.


Soooo....I have decided to break the ugly cycle and make it a point to try and be consistent, be firm, not be enabling, be compassionate, and be a parent. Pray that I may have the strength to do so. If you hear that 16 month old screaming in the corner on Mommy's lap; don't worry. It's just me helping shape one little boy who will hopefully make a brighter future for those around him....one less hit at a time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment