
I know...it's been a while!
Well....Nathan finally talked me into it. We took Paul on his first cabin trip! I have been reluctant to go because #1 I hate the heat. #2 I hate bugs. Both of which are usually rampant up there during the summer months! However, the weekend we chose was pleasantly perfect...minus the fact that Paul was just getting over a viral infection/flu bug. The weather was great, and I only got one bug bite! Amazing!
For those of you who don't know, my grandparents own a magnificent piece of property waaaay up the Carmel Valley, past Tassajara, into Las Padres forest, over a dirt road, through a locked gate, down a crazy bumpy road, and back into the woods. They bought the property when my mom was a little girl and have been enjoying their time there ever since. They built the entire cabin from the ground up. I must say, it is truly amazing what those four hands built. It has three bedrooms, two bathrooms, living room, kitchen, dining "nook," screened in patio, built in BBQ, hot tub (heated by a huge pipe they build a fire in), and garage. It has running water, flushing toilets, refrigerator, gas stove, and even some electricity via a water turbine my Grandpa built in the stream behind the cabin. Ummm can we say....super duper ingenious folks! Yup, they are.
They are from the old school where the value is on hard work, simplicity, and looking for joy in the everyday. I can only hope my family will try to emulate the goals and perspectives of my grandparents and their generation. I'm so proud to have them in my life still and that my son gets to be a part of their lives as well. We are so blessed to have such wonderful role models. Thank you, Grandma and Grandpa, for teaching me the value of a dollar, for reminding me to slow down and enjoy the ride, for helping me learn to bake, for showing me what makes a marriage work, for providing support in all ways, for using your hands and hearts to create, for loving your family, and for being living examples for your family and friends of compassion, love, and friendship. We are so lucky to have you......and your fabulous cabin! :)
Here's the link to more photos:
No comments:
Post a Comment