


CLOTH DIAPERS!
Who'd a thought I would be enjoying cloth diapering my son. Now I know....you think of cloth diapers you think folding and pinning and sticking and stinking and leaking....Not so anymore! Cloth diapers today are a whole new invention. It's kind of like this secret society of moms who get sucked into the cloth diaper world and become, shall I say, a little obsessed! And yes...I'm one of them!
So many choices: pockets, prefolds, all in ones, all in twos, fitted, covers, inserts, microfiber, hemp, organic cotton, snappi, and on and on and on... Basically the new generation of cloth is as simple to use as a disposable. The kid wears it once, you wash it. Or you put the inserts into a cover, kid does his business, you wash the insert and re-use the cover. Pretty simple. Only problem I have been running into is stink. Getting the washing routine down has been the only major challenge. Otherwise, it's super easy and has really cut down on cost and best of all waste! It feels really good knowing every day you are helping the environment by not adding to the massive amount of diaper waste in the world. I know I'm not a full time working mom, and I could see how that would be a challenge. But even if moms just did it part-time, on the weekends, or days off it would still be helping on environmental waste and cost!
Here's to trying our best to make our world a little less yucky for our children and our children's children!
3 comments:
OMG- the cutest freakin' pics I've ever seen of him! It's the first time he looks like he's intentionally smiling at the camera! So adorable!
I have converted some skeptics by letting them borrow a few of mine before they made any investment. It's easy to get carried away. But, you want to see obsessed? Haha. Check this out...
http://happyteamhayes.blogspot.com/2010/06/cha-ching.html
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=265343&id=583215249&comments=#!/album.php?aid=144847&id=583215249
As for stink, I use homemade laundry detergent (about $1.50/month), and it works great. Always do a cold rinse cycle first, then wash on hot, with an extra rinse. It does use more water, that is the trade off for less diaper waste...but still worth it, I think! Also, air drying/sunning helps freshen them up a bit. Do you have a clothes line/clothes pins?
What is in your detergent? I tried so many things to get the stink out, but my water is SO soft, the detergents never rinse out completely, hence the smell! I do hang on a line outside, it does help!
Post a Comment