Sunday, January 23, 2011

Our house...is a very very very fine house

So we have started the great undertaking which is our yard. We own (or will after 29 more years of payments) a piece of property that is 1/2 an acre. Our backyard consumes at least 1/4 of that. Needless to say, it's big. Because our home was a foreclosure, the entire thing (inside and out) was totally ravaged. We spent so much money into making the main house livable, that there wasn't any left to touch the outside. So we have had a very large 1/4 acre dirt and weed pile for almost a year now. We have started to pay more attention to our yard utilizing the resources and recycled goods we have. Below you can see the work in progress.


We purchased a used swing set from craigslist which we have put up for Paul under the redwoods. It is one he can grow into and we will hopefully get a lot more use out of. We plan to weather proof it and put a stain on it to help prolong its life. It has two swings, a slide, two rock climbing walls, a tower and a horse (made out of tire) swing. I tested out the horse and where it sits on our hill really makes you feel like you're riding a horse into the open range. Too cool.



Nathan built a LARGE (200 sq foot) raised vegetable garden bed from recycled wood from our friend Nino. He lined it with gopher wire which is an absolute MUST as we have an army of gophers who aim to destroy our veggies as soon as they start to produce. We are super excited to plan our veggies for the spring and become even more self-sustaining this year.


Our master bedroom has french doors which open out onto a deck. The previous owners obviously had a hot tub because when they left they took it with them and left a large hole in the middle of the deck. When we bought the house, I envisioned a quaint little herb garden in this hole where I could grow whatever I wanted and use in our cooking. The sun hits it all day and it is a perfect spot for some green as I look out my doors in the morning light. So, Nathan and I dug up a ton of dirt, filled the hole, wired it with gopher wire, and boxed it in. Nath lined it with rocks and now we just have to border it with some wood framing. I think I'll try some lettuce, basil, mint, parsley, and thyme to start.

Finally, we seeded two large areas in our front and back yards. I rototilled the soil (I know, I'm a super-gardener of sorts :) ) and we both raked and raked to level it out as much as we could. We threw down seed and watered in hopes that we would get grass. We did! It is still a bit spotty but we will keep filling it in. By summer, I hope it's lush! As it turns out, in the winter our WHOLE backyard springs up some local grass that seems to be doing well. We had never spent a winter here so we didn't know. We are hoping to weed and feed all the grass and keep a large part of our yards GREEN. I would love that seeing as I HATE the dirt! I know...what am I doing living in the country?!

We have SO much more to do, but these are small starts on our small budget. One day, one week, one season at a time.

2 comments:

Team Hayes said...

I am so jealous of your veggie garden! Our backyard isn't even 200 sq ft! I bought a plastic kiddie pool on craigslist to fill with soil and plant peppers, green beans, and tomatoes in...but I want yours! Haha. I do have the little advantage of being able to grow them all year...but I wish I could plant so much more.

I love being able to see the changes that you are making to your home. We own a rental property house in Nebraska, but I can't wait to buy a house for our family to live in...and make it ours. :)

Mrs. Cordero said...

Thanks! That's great that you do what you do with what you got! Nebraska will be an awesome place to be. Just think of all you can get for your money there! You could have double what we got for probably half! : )

Post a Comment