Sunday, February 27, 2011

My First High School Diploma

So, as a professional educator, I have always worked with kids in grades K-8th. I've taught 5th grade, 5-8th ELD, and 1st grade. To be honest, I DO NOT like primary grades. I'm not cut out for it. It takes a certain kind of person to be with the little ones just as much as it takes a certain kind of person to teach the older ones. I am of the latter category. I really loved my 5th graders; but being a mom now, I don't want to be in the classroom full-time.

So after months and months of searching, I ended up back at my home (teaching) town of Gonzales. I got a job in the alternative education department. It is part-time teaching independent study, adult education, and a few home and hospital kids. I love my job. It is so great being able to only work 2 1/2 days a week, on my schedule. There are definite things I miss about full-time contracted work (ie the money, benefits, sick days, disability). But for now it works.

However, the best part of my job is my students. I have a very colorful bunch which consists of teen moms, drop-outs, adults, truancy problems, gang affiliations, drugs, and on and on.....

I adore these kids. Who'da ever thought I'd say that about high schoolers and young adults?

They make my laugh. They challenge me. They make me get super sarcastic and smart wit them. They teach me. They look to me for support. They look to me for acceptance. The look at me with embarrassment and denial. They look at me with accomplishment. They are growing. They are falling. They are trying. They cry out for help. They are surviving. They piss me off and flake on me. They surprise me. They make me think. They look for answers. They accept. They hope.

And this week....one will get his diploma.

24 years old, a Dad, a very lost soul...but now an accomplished young man.

How great God is to place these students in my life to remind me how success is measured, how determined our youth really can be, and what my role as a teacher can mean to my students.

1 comment:

The Howard Bunch said...

I'm so glad you posted about this, because you've mentioned a few times that you love what you do. But I never really new what that was. It is wonderful to love what you do!! =)

Post a Comment